Acting Nassau District Attorney Madeline Singas’ bid to be elected to the post this fall is off to a fast start.
Singas, a Democrat, will file a report with the State Board of Elections Thursday showing that she raised $411,221 in a little over a month, according to her fundraiser, Tucker Green.
The amount – culled from nearly 500 contributions, including several from large labor unions – comes as few other potential district attorney candidates in either major party have started fundraising in earnest.
Green said that the money was raised between Dec. 9 and Jan. 11, with the bulk coming this month. Singas’ committee also spent $28,814, leaving it with $382,407 on hand.
Singas, previously the county’s chief assistant prosecutor, was sworn-in as acting DA last week, following the resignation of Kathleen Rice to taken her seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Rice’s departure makes November’s election for a new four-year term as Nassau district attorney the most prominent county race this year.
Already, several Democrats have expressed interest in running or have been named by party sources as potential candidates: Singas, who was Rice’s choice to be her successor; Joseph Conway, a former federal prosecutor; Michael Scotto, a former Manhattan prosecutor; former North Hempstead Supervisor Jon Kaiman; and Assemb. Charles Lavine (D-Glen Cove).
Republicans in the mix include Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray, Oyster Bay Supervisor John Venditto, Glen Cove City Court Judge Richard McCord and County Surrogate’s Court Judge Edward McCarty.
Party leaders have said that they don’t plan on choosing an official nominee for weeks or months.
In the meantime, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has the option of appointing someone to serve as district attorney through the year, but he has yet to do so or indicate whether he plans to.
The Nassau District Attorney’s office, which Rice led from 2006 through last year, has a budget of $34.6 million and more than 370 full-time employees.